Pennsylvania Vineyards for Sale
We are currently expanding our reach to worldwide sales. We are offering to post ads for your winery or vineyard with no upfront cost. Just submit high-resolution photos & descriptive content.
Windgate Vineyards and Winery, an estate winery in Indiana County, PA, is located in a picturesque Amish farming community. The vineyard was started in the 1970’s, and the
Vineyards for Sale in Pennsylvania
Wine has been part of Pennsylvania’s history since the state’s founding! When William Penn arrived in 1683, he brought with him Bordeaux grape vine clippings that he attempted to cultivate. While European varieties were not immediately successful, hearty native North American wine grapes were first discovered near Philadelphia in 1740. This kicked off Pennsylvania’s long love affair with viticulture!
While Pennsylvania may not be the first state you think of for wine, that may change in the coming decade! Wherever you are in the state, you are less than an hour away from a winery. With 300 wineries and more than 14,000 acres of grapes currently planted, the state is the 5th highest producer of grapes in the country. These grapes are used to produce an amazing 2 million gallons of wine annually. If you’re interested in purchasing a vineyard in a thriving market, vineyards for sale in Pennsylvania are a great investment!
Wine Trails and Regions in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania’s mild climate and verdant terrain provide some of the East Coast’s best grape-growing conditions. With the moderating forces of Lake Eerie to the north and the Atlantic Ocean to the east, Pennsylvania’s climate is milder than its surrounding states.
Today, the state has five areas with the well-deserved title of American Viticultural Area (AVA), but many vineyards and wineries thrive even outside of the AVAs. Since the state has so many areas ideal for viticulture, Pennsylvania’s vineyards and wineries are divided into ten wine trails. Here are some of the state’s most well-known and fastest-growing wine regions in which to consider Pennsylvania vineyards for sale:
- Hershey-Harrisburg Region: Open for a decade, this wine trail boasts over a dozen family-owned wineries with breathtaking views in the heart of Pennsylvania near Hershey.
- Lake Eerie Wine Region: With 30,000 acres of vineyards, this region has earned the nickname “America’s Grape Country.”
- Dutch Country Roads Trail: Alternatively known as the Mason-Dixon Wine Trail, these vineyards and wineries are tucked away in the scenic heart of Pennsylvania near Gettysburg and Harrisburg.
- Upstate PA Region: Northeastern Pennsylvania wineries specialize in many types of wine, from dry and semi-dry to sweet dessert wines.
- Lehigh Valley Region: This is Pennsylvania’s fastest-growing wine region. The wineries and vineyards in this region are known for their award-winning Chambourcin wine, produced from the area’s signature grape.
The Pennsylvania Wine Market
Pennsylvania’s vineyards and wineries have nearly doubled over the last three decades. Today, 12,800 acres of the state are planted with wine grapes, producing 61,500 tons of grapes. As the state’s vineyards and wineries become increasingly well-known for winning awards, wine tourism to the state has spiked. In total, the state’s vineyards and wineries produce visitor expenditures of $153 million and sales totaling almost $250 million. If you’re interested in joining a quickly expanding wine market, consider purchasing a vineyard for sale in Pennsylvania! With decades of experience, Virginia Estates is happy to help you navigate the state’s vineyard and winery market.